Climate Fund Managers (CFM) is looking for a dynamic individual to join our Latin American team, as the Regional ESG Manager. The role will be based in Bogota, Colombia and will require periodic travel to CFM regional offices as well as to projects within the CFM portfolio.
CFM was established in 2015 as a joint venture between the Dutch development bank FMO based in the Netherlands and Sanlam InfraWorks – part of the Sanlam Group of South Africa. Headquartered in The Netherlands, our offices span across the emerging markets we serve, located in Singapore, South Africa, and Colombia.
As one of the leading blended finance investment managers, our business is focused on responding to the climate crisis. We use blended finance structuring to attract public and private capital to invest in high-impact sectors in emerging markets aimed at addressing the thematic areas of climate change mitigation and adaptation, including renewable energy, water and oceans, sustainable land use, and sustainable cities.
The primary focus of this role will be for the Regional ESG Manager to be responsible for all aspects of ESG relating to investments, project development and project construction for the Latin American portfolio. In this role, the Regional ESG Manager will have a high level of ownership and responsibility for all ESG matters pertaining to the regional portfolio and will work closely with the regional investment team on all investment activity. In parallel, the Regional ESG Manager will work with the Head of ESG, who is based in The Hague (The Netherlands) on strategic ESG aspects as required.
- ESG due diligence of proposed investments including travel to project sites throughout the Latin American region.
- Preparation of terms of reference and appointment and management of consultants conducting E&S specialist studies including but not limited to environmental and social due diligence and impact assessments (ESIAs).
- Preparation of inputs to investment papers and presentation at investment committee meetings.
- Close liaison with project managers and contractors, and ongoing provision of project-related advice and guidance for E&S management.
- Governance and management of projects in which the funds are invested (including preparation of or contribution to documents as required, participation in project management meetings, management committee meetings).
- Preparation of environmental and social action plans (post financial close) and management plans (post-ESIA) and ongoing monitoring of compliance.
- Participation in selection and onboarding of principal contractors including preparation of E&S documentation for contractual agreements.
- Development and ongoing management of community development programmes for all projects in which the funds are invested.
- Desk-based and field-based monitoring of the environmental and social performance of projects.
- Impact monitoring and evaluation activities for all projects.
- Support the Head of ESG with all reporting commitments for projects in the Latin American portfolio, including the quarterly and annual investor reports and the biannual impact report.
- Undertake additional tasks on as-needed basis to support the Head of ESG and the Regional Head of Latin America.
Qualifications and Experience
- Educated to Masters’ degree level (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
- 10-15 years’ experience in an environmental and social management or consulting role in international project finance or impact investing
- Prior demonstrated experience as a line manager
- Knowledge and experience of using international standards such the IFC Performance Standards, ILO core conventions, UN Global Compact, IADB safeguards
- Excellent knowledge of environmental and social issues as they relate to CFM’s business and the underlying funds
- Good knowledge of setting up and implementing environmental and social management systems
- Technically proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Good organisational skills and able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Technically proficient (Advanced) in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Fluency in written and verbal English and Spanish
To apply, please send us your updated resume together with a motivation letter.